Monday, April 18, 2011

v2.0.0 Nearing Beta!

I've gotten The Render Engine v2.0.0 to a point where I'm just about ready to label it a beta.  The Sprite Editor v1.0.0 landed yesterday and will be followed with an update, shortly, to allow importing of sprite sheets and also importing frames from other applications.  As I said, in a previous post, a number of features will not be included in v2.0.0, but will follow in a point release.  I want to get this puppy out the door so people can start using it, and I can retire the v1.x branch.

Recently I've had an opening in my busy schedule to work on things that I figured would take me months to complete.  The Sprite Editor has always been something I wanted to finish, but figured it would just take forever to complete.  I re-imagined what it should be and pared down the features I wanted it to support to only what it absolutely needed.  This has allowed me to bring it to a point where it's good enough to label it v1.0.0.  It can edit animations and export sprite images and sheets.  The last two things will be to perform importing, then it'll be feature complete.

I can focus on getting the Level Editor completed now.  It will undergo a bit of a refactoring and re-imagining, much like the Sprite Editor did.  I envision it being completed within a couple of weeks.  It will be a tile-based editor, much like the one in the Phobos Labs ImpactJS game engine.  Probably not as polished, in the first round, but it'll feature many of the basic editing capabilities.

The engine itself is stable enough that I haven't had to address anything in it for a few months now.  I still need to iron out the Internet Explorer 9 issues with getters and setters in the math types, but otherwise it is fairly rock solid.  There are optimizations to be had, for sure, but those will come after I get the beta out the door and in future releases.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I've been meaning to attempt using the engine again and hopefully do some work on it in my own time. I had some issues with the test server settings when I first downloaded it, but I'm really interested in what you've done.

    ReplyDelete