Saturday, April 23, 2011

TileMaps, the beginnings

I posted an update to Github today to fix some issues that popped up in the Linker.  It seems a lot more stable now and should resolve initialization issues people were seeing.  The Sprite Editor now has copy/paste enabled.  Why I forgot to do this earlier, I don't have a clue... It was fairly simple to add.


I started on my 2d tile map class today.  I haven't tested it yet, but it seems pretty straightforward and should work.  It will render the entire tile map to a temporary context and use that to blit in the visible "slice" of the tile map when rendered.  Tile maps should be mostly comprised of static (non-animated) tiles with a few animated tiles sprinkled in for flavor.  The first frame will render the entire tile map, thus it is important that tile maps aren't too big (this is a render time speed concern, not a memory issue).  Each subsequent frame will render only the animated tiles, and even then only if they are within the view port.

Funny thing is that as I was reading this, I figured that the tile map should only render the slice of visible tiles (plus some padding) to save on time.  I'm going to see if I can't add that pretty quickly... Otherwise, it'll be a "next iteration" kind of optimization.

I've got a base set of tiles created to generate a test level, so my next steps will be to update the Level Editor to handle the creation of a tile map.  After that, it'll be time to set up the collision and trigger map portion of the editor.  Finally, I'll work out the actor map portion of the editor to handle placement of actors within the level.  By next weekend I really hope to have the Level Editor to a place where it's capable of creating a full level and setting it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment