Friday, February 11, 2011

Absolutely AWESOME Article

Maryrosecook, who is writing Pistol Slut on top the The Render Engine, wrote up a fantastic article complete with pictures, pseudo-code, and JavaScript which describes the process of detecting collisions.  You can view it by going here.  It's a good read and quite impressive... To answer a couple of questions she posed, the technique for determining bullet collisions that she describes is known as "raycasting".  Additionally, determining the direction for a shower of sparks at the point of impact uses the "surface normal".  I am always amazed at the things that she has been able to do with the v1.0 engine!  I think I also need to add some sort of way to do "sweeping" (I believe the raycasting I plan on adding will do this) but I want to get it into v2.0.  She has had to learn the hard way... you n00bs are going to have it so easy with v2.0.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment