Friday, March 25, 2011

Long time, no dev

Firstly, I have to apologize to all those who are waiting on v2.0 to get completed.  The engine has been getting a lot of attention, but I haven't had much time to work on it lately.  I really miss working on the engine because it's a source of stress relief that helps me to unwind and is a great way to keep my skills sharp.  Unfortunately, I have been doing a ton of contract work after hours.  About two months back I signed on to help a small company develop content for a digital magazine.

The company is spread all over the world with my "team" being in Florida, Iowa, Manitoba, North Carolina, and me in Michigan.  We've been developing HTML5 based "widgets" which run inside of a digital magazine.  It's amazing what can be done with just the browser on an iPad.  With SQLlite, HTML5, JavaScript, localStorage, CSS3, and more available to me, I've been able to put together functionality that isn't native to the digital reader app.  It's really cool stuff, and it pays pretty well to boot (which is awesome because I've been up to my eyebrows in debt and this helps supplement my day job pay).

Anyway, The Render Engine has kinda suffered because it can't get any love.  I spend 40 hours a week during the day doing my regular job, then I go home, work out, eat, and do this contract work another 20-30 hours a week at night and on weekends.  This results in zero time for the engine - which bums me out a bit.  Plus, my stress level is riding high because I don't have this outlet to vent and unwind.

I'm hoping that in the next couple of months I will be able to get back onto The Render Engine full-time.  I still spend an hour or two here and there in the code base, but not nearly enough time to finish all the features I want in v2.0.  Maybe if I moved the engine to Git, I could get some others involved.  I know there are more than a few of you who have expressed interest in helping out.  Sorry if I haven't gotten back to you, but I've just been so busy.

I want to assure each and every one of you that I'm not abandoning the project.  I have been working on this engine since 2008 and I intend to keep working on it for many more years.  It's a project like this that helps me to keep my skills sharp.  Plus, with the latest versions of all of the browsers, I am chomping at the bit to get some awesome new features into the platform.  I have so many ideas to make the engine faster and better, but without the time, they are just scribbles in my notebook.

Thanks to everyone who has been using the engine!  I know there are a bunch of vocal users, but there are a lot more quiet users of the engine.  All of you make it very worthwhile to keep going.

3 comments:

  1. I was following the develop of this engine until i read this. I suggest you get the proyect into GitHub to get more people working on it.
    Good luck with your new job, i

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you will find more time for TRE when you second job is finished.
    Maybe you just intended too much features for v2.0. It might be easier working on TRE if you make smaller releases. v2.0 has allready so many awesome new features it doesn't need any more.

    I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually had some time, recently, to address some of the things that are planned for v2.0. I might release a smaller v2.0 instead and then incremental releases to accommodate the extra features in the future.

    I did this with v1.0 because the initial plan became too large to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete